Friday, August 21, 2009

Feature Friday: Pet-Themed Recipe Cards

Drum roll, pleeeeeeease........it's FEATURE FRIDAY! I know what you're thinking, that I'm a genius and this is such an original idea. No need to applaud. (If you haven't noticed by now, I'm extremely sarcastic).

Everyone, including all of us at Aunt Dottie's Pantry, love pets. I've known people, myself included, who would feed their pets before they have a meal themselves. So we designed some cards to reflect how much we love our animals.

This is personally, one of my favorite breeds of dog. I used to be a veterinary technician, and I can say that I've never met a vicious pug, and even if I did, I'd still love them, because that would be hilarious. They always have so much personality and charisma and I love that they walk around, with their little curly tails up in the air, acting clueless. They melt my heart every time I see them.

Ok...so I'm not going to sit here and act like I love beagles, because they're not my favorite. Not my least favorite, but not in my top 10. I think they're adorable, but bless those of you that can put up with them. They are so dense. They'll walk out on your front doorstep, and be lost. And their howl.....like nails on a chalkboard. Nevertheless, we know there are thousands of beagle lovers out there and I will say that they deserve homes too (side note: make adoption your first option; when you adopt an animal, you save 2 lives, the one you take home and the one you made room for).

So that's our Feature Friday. We have tons of other breeds on our website and ebay store, so check it out to see if your pet is listed. And if not, contact us and we'll see if we can't make it happen.
And now that I praised pugs and bashed beagles, I'll let you see my ugly-on-the-outside, yet beautiful-on-the-inside dog, Gunnar. He's a pit bull mix, about a year old. I used to work at an animal shelter, and one day I went into work and all my co-workers
were making a big fuss over this dog in the kennel. I went back, and could barely see him because he was in the last kennel against the wall where light doesn't get in very well, and his slide was closed. I looked in and saw these big brown eyes look up at me. As ohky as it sounds, it was love at first sight. I come to find out that he came in as a stray and based on his injuries, suspected to have been hit by a car. He broke both his hips and on top of that, had whipworms and giardia (both parasitic, intestinal issues). They were preparing him for surgery to put plates in, but decided that since he was walking on this back legs, they didn't want to be so invasive, but recommended 6 weeks of bedrest and he had to be carried if there was tile or other smooth surfaces he could slip on, or stairs. My first mistake was looking at him; my second was sitting in his kennel with him. Boy did he turn on the charm. I wanted to foster him, but an injured pit bull that we didn't know where he came from?? I him-hauled around for a day or so, but something in my heart told me to take him home. It turns out he's a wonderful dog. This pitbull doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He has changed the minds of alot of people I know that had that bad stigma brewing about pits. And his timing couldn't have been better, because my husband was getting deployed, so he needed me about as much as I needed him. My Dad said one time that Gunnar getting hit by a car was the worst thing to have ever happened to him, but also the best, because he now has a great home and we love him to pieces.
So there's my story. I love hearing about other people's pets too, so if you're feeling froggy, email me with a story of your pet...maybe even some photos. I always love to see pampered pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment