Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How-To Bath Salts: Victorian Rose

I started making homemade bath salts because I was looking for a unique and creative alternative to buying them. I made some for my Mom, and now she loves getting homemade bath and body products for mother's day, her birthday and Christmas. Bath salts are so easy to make and there are tons of different recipes. I wanted to share how I, personally, make bath salts. This particular recipe is for Victorian Rose bath salts. However, you can make bath salts using any essential oil that you find appealing. Here's what you'll need:



  • 1 cup Epsom salts

  • Bowl

  • Plastic spoon

  • Eye dropper

  • Glycerin (optional)

  • Victoria Rose essential oil

  • Red food coloring


Here's what to do:


Put 1 cup of Epsom salt (found at any store like Walmart or Rite Aide) in a bowl. Add about 4 drops of red food coloring. Mix well so that all the color blends into the salts. You should have a pink-ish color that looks something like the picture below.


Next, add a few drops of glycerin. This ingredient is optional. I like using glycerin in my bath recipes because it makes your skin really soft. You can find this at Rite Aide as well. Again, mix well.



The last touch is the essential oil. In this recipe, I'm using Victorian Rose, but you can use any essential oil that you like. I also like to use Pumpkin Spice, Lavendar, Vanilla and Sandalwood. I'm also infamous for mixing my essential oils too, which is a lot of fun. Ok, so add 3-5 drops of essential oils using an eye dropper and mix well.

At this point, wherever you're sitting, it should smell fabulous. Once I make my salts, I usually decorate a glass bottle I pick up from the dollar store with ribbon and some embellishments. I then add a tag with directions or what the essential oil is typically used for.

I hope you enjoyed this how-to. I would love to hear ideas on how you make bath salts and how you give them as gifts.





1 comment:

  1. i love bath salts! thanks for sharing! ^_^

    new follower here! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete